Aloha! My name is Mrs. Kaci Sublette-Marks and I teach English III and English IV this 2018-2019 school year. Please view my class webpages for specific class-related information. If you have any questions, please feel free to email or call me. If I do not return your email or call within 2 school days, it may be due to a technical issue or I am out for an emergency. In that case, please reach out to the Guidance office for further assistance.
***FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
2018-2019 Fun Reading List Tracker (What I've read this school year...)
1. "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell (finished 9/10/2018)
2. "The Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan (finished 9/13/2018)
3. "The Serpent King" by Jeff Zentner (finished 9/25/2018)
4. "Three Wishes" by Liane Moriarty (finished 10/3/2018)
5. "Prodigy" by Marie Lu (finished 10/8/2018)
6. "Asylum" by Madeleine Roux (finished 10/25/18)
7. "Champion" by Veronica Roth (finished 10/28/18)
8. "Anna Dressed in Blood" by Kendare Blake (finished 11/2/18)
9. "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas (finished 11/5/18)
10. "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed (11/19/18)
11. "Girl of Nightmares" by Kendare Blake (12/1/18)
12. "Dear Martin" by Nic Stone (12/5/18)
13. "After You" by Jojo Moyes (12/14/18)
14. "The Fates Divide" by Veronica Roth (12/31/18)
15. "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak (1/15/19)
16. "Artemis" by Andy Weir (1/18/19)
17. "Atlantia" by Ally Condie (1/31/19)
18. "Milk and Honey" by Rupi Kaur (2/1/19)
19. "Everwild" by Neal Shusterman (3/4/19)
20. "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer (3/7/19)
21. "Scarlet" by Marissa Meyer (3/23/19)
22. "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (3/29/19)
23. "The Sun and Her Flowers" by Rupi Kaur (4/6/19)
24. "Cress" by Marissa Meyer (4/8/19)
25. "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld (4/10/19)
26. "Whiskey Words & a Shovel III" (4/18/19)
27. "Still Me" by Jojo Moyes (5/1/19)
28. "Wrinkles" by Paco Roca (5/2/19)
29. "The House on Mango Street" (5/3/19)
30. "Nine Perfect Strangers" (5/17/19)
1. What does "Incomplete" mean in Genesis? Either your student was absent when an assignment was due and must turn it in for grading when they return to school, or your student has extended time to turn in an assignment. See if there are any comments left by me for more information. Once your student turns in the assignment, I will try my best to update their grade within 2 school days (allow more time for long paper assignments).
2. What does "Missing" mean in Genesis? Your student did not turn in the assignment. Please check any comments left by me for more information. Missing assignments can no longer be made as your student has missed the original deadline and the extended deadline.
3. Where can I check to see if my student has any homework or upcoming assessments? I mainly post those in the Google Classroom and Google Calendar. You can check the Google Calendar for upcoming assignments/assessments on the classroom webpage here on this website, or you can also login to the Google Classroom with your student's assistance.
4. What kind of extra credit is offered? Every marking period I will offer ALL students an optional extra credit assignment. That will be the only extra credit offered. Please encourage your student to take advantage of the opportunity and see me for any questions or assistance.
5. Where can I see teacher feedback to my student? I typically leave feedback to students via Google Classroom and on their assignments. There will be a few times when I will meet with your student to provide feedback to them in person via a student conference. Additionally, I may also leave feedback in Genesis. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
6. What is an "Understanding Check"? An "Understanding Check" is a formative assessment. Think of it like a short quiz. It is an assessment to ensure they are on track towards their mastery of the content and skills in class.
7. What is a "Major Assessment"? A "Major Assessment" is a summative assessment. They can be tests, projects, or papers. They are the core assessments for our course and lessons are developed using backwards-design to help students achieve success on these core assessments. They are correlated to state standards and learning goals for our course. Performance on major assessments will demonstrate student progress towards achieving mastery for our course.