SPECIAL EDUCATION OVERVIEW
The Point Pleasant Beach School District is responsible for providing a system of free, appropriate public education (FAPE) and related services to students with disabilities age three through 21. FAPE is provided at public expense, under public supervision and with no charge to the parent. FAPE must also be administered and supervised by appropriately certified and qualified professional staff members. Additionally, FAPE must be located in facilities that are accessible to the disabled. Finally, the district will provide information regarding services available through other State, county, and local agencies to parents of children with disabilities below the age of three.
The purposes of the Special Education Program in the Point Pleasant Beach School District are as follows:
- To ensure that all students with disabilities as defined in NJAC 6A:14, including students who have been suspended or expelled from school, have available to them a free, appropriate public education as that standard is set under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (20 U.S.C. §1400 et seq.);
- To ensure that the obligation to make a free, appropriate public education available to each eligible student begins no later than the student's third birthday and that an individualized education program is in effect for the student by that date;
- To ensure that a free, appropriate public education is available to any student with a disability who needs special education and related services, even though the student is advancing from grade to grade;
- To ensure that the services and placement needed by each student with a disability to receive a free, appropriate public education are based on the student's unique needs and not on the student's disability;
- To ensure that students with disabilities are educated in the least restrictive environment (LRE);
- To ensure the provision of special education and related services;
- To ensure that the rights of student with disabilities and their parents are protected.